My Happy Ending



We were only sixteen when we understood what love is.
We understood how it was lying in each other's arms and admiring each other's beautiful faces.
What real friendship is...
Being there for each other, every time.
Everything was smooth, until we grew up.
It has been seven years.
We have always been inseparable.
But now ... It’s the time when we have to tell our families about each other.

It was horrifying...
The mere imagination of my Dad's face gave me chills...
And when I told him, he was in a pretty deep shock.
Hailing from a conservative family I used to be that kid who would never hang out, the one with least amount of friends.
Neither of my parents expected something like this from me.
My Dad did not agree, he didn't like it.
He hated it, rather.
Dad told me it isn't possible and if he meant something to me, I will not see Divyank anymore.

I had to make the toughest decision of my life.
Choosing between my father and the love of my life.
A few of my friends advised that I should run away with him, and the other said I should let him go as I may get some another guy, but there will not be another father.
I believed that once I get married I would come back to him and fall at his feet and beg for acceptance.
But the fear, of losing my father forever, I couldn't afford that.
I tried convincing my father, every day, every week, but he did not agree.
He was still sure about the decision he made of not marrying me off to a man from some other religion.
I told Divyank about it.
His family was so supportive and I was just jealous.
Simply jealous of him that his parents agreed and mine did not.
I was told that Divyank should know I will never talk to him again.
I did what I shouldn't have. I called him and told him to take me away. I wanted to be with him. He did not take me.

He said, "No matter how much time it takes, we will get the blessings."
The sad part is that I don't think Papa will ever agree to it.

It has been two years we haven't had any contact.
No phone calls.
No messages.
No birthdays.
No anniversaries.

I did see him six months ago at a dinner but we both didn't have the courage to talk.
Of course, my father wasn't still ready and he wanted me to marry a man of his choice.
I talked to my mother.
Begged, pleaded & cried out to her and all I wanted was to marry Divyank with my parents' blessings.

Another month passed by and Papa entered my room.
He said, "Baccho ke aage maa baap haar hi jaate hain.. kal Divyank ko ghar bulaao.. baith ke baat karte hain."
He walked out with a little water in his eyes. I was so happy that I couldn't express.
I quickly called Divyank. I told him my parents wanted to meet him tomorrow.

"It's too late, Surbhi. I am sorry. "

I paused. I couldn't say a word and busted out.

“What do you mean by 'it's too late’? You’ve always said it can never be too late for us. Then why?"

"It's too late because your mom already called me and we are about to reach your place.
After all this time, *Tomorrow* is too late, love. "

Oh, I went craaazzzzy.
Crazy, because I had everything I ever wanted.
My parents and Divyank. All together.
Papa loved him and his family. I could see it in his eyes. He was happy. I was happy.
And maybe it's true.

If it's not happy, it's not the end.
And I found my happy ending.

Comments