Yours, Till The End



"Who are you?"

I wake up startled by my favorite voice. It is Drake. He has woken up from his sleep and I know it's gonna be a tough night. I switch on the lights.

"Do I know you? No no just go away please, please go away." He destroys all of my attempts to calm him. He is shouting at the top his voice, moving his hands and legs violently.

"Shush baby. I am Rose, your Rose." I take his cold hands into mine and let him feel my warmth.


"Who is Rose? No, I don't know you. Leave me alone please."

Tears stream from my eyes. I open the drawer near my side table and take out an injection. I keep it hidden, trying to calm Drake. But he is just not listening to me. It hurts to see him like this. I bring the injection closer to his wrist and he sees it. I inject it soon enough to not give him any chance to escape.

"What the hell are you doing? Are you killing me? What did I do to you? I don't even know you."

"I can NEVER kill you Drake." His shouts become feeble gradually and he becomes unconscious.

"I love you." I say to him as he closes his eyes, my tears falling at his lips. His head is in my lap and I switch off the lights and sit back on the bed with him very close to me.

I stare at his innocent face. The face I have loved since the beginning. Since before I knew what love was. I still remember how I fell for his big gray eyes and  cute pink lips back when I was just a stupid little 15 year old girl. He was my senior in school and  my reason to go to school. I used to remember all the dates when he used to talk to me.

Drake once told me that he knew that I loved him. I was too shy to say anything or to look into his gray eyes. I had ran from there.

I still remember how I had always wanted a forever with him. But I knew he is not the forever kind of guy. So I kept my love to myself and moved ahead in life. I was 20 when he came back again into my life. And then I knew, I loved him enough to take that chance with him. He told me he loved me and I said it too.
I still remember he kissed me at the backyard of his home, the best kiss of my life.
I still remember a month later he moved to another country for a degree, leaving our story incomplete once again.
Four years later, I heard from him. He told me he is coming back, this time for good.
I still remember how he did not ask me that I still loved him, because maybe he knew I did, maybe I'll always do.

Drake came back. He was all grown up. But his eyes were still gray and his lips still pink. He looked more stronger and more attractive. He would tell me how he hated that his lips were pink and I would never agree with him.

We were finally together. He asked me to marry him. And I don't know how long I cried and he kept me embraced into his arms.
He told me on our wedding night that he realised quite late that I am the only one who could make him happy. Yes we were happy, so happy.

Drake and me, we worked hard and saved enough to travel twice a year. We were each other's best friends. Five years after our marriage we had a beautiful daughter who had the same pink lips of Drake. I loved her so much, and Drake as well. We named her Sky.

Our life together has been so good. Except the most horrifying part which happened three years ago.
Drake told me he forgot my name. I ignored him hoping he might be joking around but he wasn't. I got all his tests done and he got diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer's. My world came crashing down. Gradually it progressed and he forgot me. Drake forgot his Rose. I didn't know how to live with this feeling. He would harm himself during his severe attacks when he forgot everything. Drake once harmed me too when he was so confused who me and Sky were. Doctors told us to get him admitted. But I could not live without him. I left my job and collected all our savings we had done for traveling and took him to a new city.

I bought a new home and it was just me and Drake now, away from everything and everyone. Sky went abroad for  higher education.

Each day when Drake woke up I would look at him with the hope that he knows I am his Rose, only his. Some days he did other days I told him I was his caretaker. It hurt like hell to remember the perfect life we had and to look at what I have left with now.

Drake is just 44, he did not even had a chance to live as he wanted, to settle everything. All our lives we worked hard, and we never got a chance to stop and enjoy the memories we had created. Drake's memories were snatched away from him.

It was so bad seeing him confused, sad and unsure.
This love had been very difficult for me.
I have longed for his love so many years and now finally that I have him, he forgot me, he forgot he loves me. It all came back to the beginning, when my heart ached with the one-sided love I had for him, and it is that same feeling again.

I looked at him, he was sleeping peacefully. I wiped my tears which had fallen on his face. And then I kissed his lips. I loved him so much. I loved each part of him. And it felt bad to slowly lose him to this disease.

I place my hand on his heart to atleast feel his heartbeat, to know his heart still loved me.
But.. His heart.. It isn't beating. I froze. I checked his nerve, I couldn't feel it. No no no he could not.. No! I held him in my arms, I cried, but he didn't move, neither did his heart beat any more. I called the ambulance , I called Sky. But Drake, he was gone. Drake was dead. The doctors later told that he suffered a cardiac arrest, which stopped his heart beats, the heart I have loved all my life, the heart which loved me back.


I wanted to see his gray eyes one last time, the eyes which gave me the strength to love this man for whole of my life. But I couldn't. His lips weren't pink anymore. They were pale. But I still loved him. I was his best friend, his lover, his wife and the mother of his child. I was his. That was all I needed to live. I was his. Since the beginning till the end.
I have no idea how long I cried after he left, but all I know is, this time, he wasn't there to embrace me.

Comments